Friday, June 7, 2013

Five for Friday!

I am ready for Friday this week!  I am linking up with Doodle Bugs Teaching for Five for Friday.

Here are my favorites- again some school, some not.
I'll start with school! :)

1.  We had Kindergarten Orientation today for our new little buddies coming in the fall.  We had a class full of new Kindergarteners for about an hour while our Principal talked to parents about the school and programs.  In the classroom they explored, played tanagrams, puzzles, Legos, colored a picture, and sang some FAVORITE songs- Tooty Ta, My Mother is a Baker, Baby Fish, Bubble Gum... We sent home a laminated  alphabet/number placemat  with an activity idea booklet. We read a book about a sunflower.  I like this one, because I have the big book, and the children can join in reading.
We gave  the children this little poem with some sunflower seeds to plant at home.  By the time the sunflower grows, they will be ready to come to Kindergarten!
 
 
Every child received an autographed copy of A Special Friend Indeed.  Suzanne Bloom visited our district last year. 
We made different packets for everything from colors, shapes, reading and writing to tying shoes for the parents to take home and work on with their children over the summer.  I know academics are important... but I am sure hoping some shoe tying practice happens over the summer ;) or else some Velcro sneakers are on the back to school list!
 

After the little guys leave, my own class seems so "old" and mature!
 
2.  Our end of the year tests are DONE!  My class did just fine- even better than fine- and hung right in there.  During the reading test, one little boy trying to read one of the passages said, "Can we skip twice using Skippy Frog?"  Poor thing- he was just looking for words he knew.  Our math test took an H.O.U.R.   Oh my goodness. They were TROOPERS!  We managed to make it fun.  In the afternoon, my son Matt (so confusing because my son and Ellie's fiance' are both Matts! :) and his girlfriend Jaclyn came in, and  we played Number Bingo for Dollar Store Prizes. Once everyone had won a prize, I let them open them and play a while (cars, trucks, Dollar store dolls, balls...)  One of my little guys said, "This is my best day EVER." Then we sang songs and danced!    So- it had to go on my Favorite Five, too.
OK- I make it sound like a perfect afternoon- but  I left out the part about the custodian having to come into the room to clean up a mystery mess on the floor while we were all playing.  It suddenly appeared and no one knew where it came from.  Although I am still guessing it came out of someone's pant leg-????????  WHAT?!  Of COURSE Matt and Jaclyn were there then, as I was kindly asking, "Does ANYONE have to go to the bathroom?!" hint-hint-    And nobody did.  Still don't even get it!  I have to just let it go, disinfect some more, and move on! :)  SO- it was an almost perfect day.   No picture needed. I am sure you can all picture it just fine...
 
Wellll- since I went so low as to discuss the custodian's visit for a clean up - maybe I should be done with school topics.  On to different topics!  :)
 
 
3.  We had a ball at my daughter Ellie's bridal shower last Saturday!  We had a great day with friends and family -with great games, prizes, and delicious food. It was wonderful to meet Matt's extended family. His grandmother had the shower at her home and it was beautiful!   We played Match the Bride's Phrase (We had to match how we thought Ellie would finish the phrase- like "wedding __________."); Who Said It? ( where I had both Ellie and Matt's answers to a question and chose one.  People held up a wand if they thought it was  Ellie's answer,  or a mustache if they thought Matt's, , or both!); and Guess How Many Pearls in the Jar.  I had prizes from Bath and Body, frames, candles, Lindt chocolates, and just fun stuff. Can't go too wrong with those chocolates. Yum.  OH- you could also win a prize if you had a picture of Prince Charming or Matt in your sealed envelope...  the other envelopes had frog pictures inside  :).  I actually loved the idea of the homemade scratch off cards I found , but I decided to use the envelopes instead so we didn't get paint all over Matt's grandma's house- since I had never tried making the cards before and figured I would probably overdo it with the silver paint and it may make a mess!   
 
Prize

No Prize 
 
Later, my mother, sister, daughters Ellie and Emily, Ellie's friend Erika and I went to a Tuscan Cooking Class in a little Kitchen Store in our town.  This was a ball! I had no idea what to expect, but we met eight other really nice people,  had a lot of laughs- and a delicious meal. We all also realized that risotto takes FOREVER to cook and that it tastes very similar to Rice a Roni with cheese on top.  (That tells you how refined my tastes are! HA!)  The Lemon Chicken with Spinach and Wine Sauce was fabulous!
This is Ellie, me, and Emily ready for our next job cooking! I think mine was chopping the onions. It was serious business! :)  I look nervous or really ready to go!
 
 
4.  My nephew Tim is going to open his own Karate Academy in Naples, Florida!  I am SO thrilled for him and so proud of him. He has worked so hard and is an amazing teacher.    His Aunt and Uncle may need to come visit- a lot!  :)  SO EXCITING!
  
 
5.  This has been my favorite devotional for a while. I love it.
Here is today's- and I could read it every single day just as a reminder!

I am all around you, like a cocoon of Light.  My Presences with you is a promise, independent of your awareness of Me.  Many things can block this awareness, but the major culprit is worry.  My children tend to accept worry as an inescapable fact of life.  However, worry is a form of unbelief;  it is anathema to Me.  Who is in charge of your life?  If it is you, then you have good reason to worry. But if it is I, then worry is both unnecessary and counterproductive. When you start to feel anxious about something, relinquish the situation to Me. Back off a bit, redirecting your focus to Me.  I will either take care of the problem Myself or show you how to handle it.  In this world you will have problems, but you need not lose sight of Me.

I also love my Joyce Meyer! :)  I tape Enjoying Everyday Life each day and then try to catch up with them on weekends- but I am looking forward to making a better schedule this summer to enjoy the show.  I went with my parents and sister to see her conference and loved it.   By the way, it was her 70th birthday  this week. Happy Birthday, Joyce! :)

It felt like a REALLY LONG WEEK.  I fell asleep for an hour right after dinner Thursday night. What is that about?!  Happy Weekend!
Carolyn :)

PS I'd love you to stop over and share a funny school story on my Linky Party! :) THANK YOU!




 

11 comments:

  1. As a kindergarten teacher, I get what you are talking about! I have had everything from the "mystery mess" to the 'This is my best day ever.' comment. Teachers in other grade levels just don't get it!
    Christina’s Kinder Blossoms

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you get it! It takes a certain type- called Kindergarten Teachers, I guess! :) Thanks so much for stopping by!
      Carolyn

      Delete
  2. I loved hearing and seeing more about your family this week! You sure do a lot of special things for your new kinders! They must love it and be so excited!
    Susanna
    Whimsy Workshop 

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Susanna! It's funny having a new group of little ones who don't know you yet- and don't get all the silly little things. They were pretty serious this morning at orientation in the new surroundings! Thanks so much for your comment. :)
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet sunflower idea. I may do that with my daughter since she will be starting at the end of summer.
    What an exciting time and emotional time for your family. I hope all goes well with your daughter's wedding.
    Have a great weekend.

    School Is a Happy Place

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for writing! Can you believe how time flies? Will your daughter be going to the school where you teach? Thank you for the wedding wishes. :)
      Carolyn

      Delete
    2. Thanks for stopping by on the mentor text link up. You kinders will love 1 + 1 = 5 and Other Unlikely Additions.
      No, at this point my daughter is not going to my school where I teach. (sigh)

      Delete
  5. I think the sunflower idea is one of the cutest I've seen in a long time- I may have to try this one! I also love that you have the new kinders come in now rather than at the beginning of the year. I woud think that would get rid of a lot of anxiety. It's really fun to see your family fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Sandy! It does make a nice transition for the new little Kinders! We also have a Kindergarten Picnic for the children and parents the Wednesday night before school starts so they can see the room... That helps a lot, too. Thanks for commenting!! :) Have a great weekend.
    :) Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Carolyn!
    Thank you for the FB comment about my guest post today! My FB won't let me leave comments lately so I can't promote any of my things there - so frustrating! Glad you found it anyway, and I LOVE that video you sent me - I will show that to my class first thing on Monday. Thank you so much!!
    Susanna
    Whimsy Workshop 

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you are welcome! Thanks for writing back. Glad I posted it right on your FB- I am never quite sure. Let me know what they think. :) My kids loved it because it was a "circle story," too.
      Carolyn

      Delete

Search This Blog