Thursday, September 26, 2013

Paula Deen Would Be Proud...

Yes- we made BUTTER for Bb day! If you have never made this with your children, it is so easy and always one of the favorite memories of the year.  All you need is heavy cream, a baby food jar, and a little salt!  We spread our butter on crackers, so you need those, too. I made butter four times, once with each of my groups, filling the baby food jar half full each time and used only one 8 oz container of heavy cream. (That sounded a little like a Common Core math problem there for a minute. I was getting scared!)


Butter Day is one of my favorite days of the year. Yes- I created my own Butter holiday.  The children love shaking that baby food jar , but I always finish it up. You know how that is! I remind them how important it is to use two hands on that glass jar. 
 

I had to take some pictures of the kids shaking the jar so they saw how it looked blurry when it was moving. This was a great impromptu lesson on motion lines and movement!  The second picture that I use for their Butter Book that they make in class is a blurry one of the jar being shaken, so I wanted them to see it in "real life." 





I know what you are thinking, "Boy, your arms must be toned by now after all that shaking!" Well, no.  We ate the butter after the shaking, so...little column A, little column B. It is delicious, by the way- and comes out in a round ball- JUST LIKE RED LOBSTER BUTTER, I was told!  :)  Yes, you know how they put a scoop on the baked potato?  Well, that was exactly how it looked. 


The children love making butter. LOVE it. I have each child make a book to take home so they can remember the "recipe" to tell mom and dad- because they all ask and want to make it at home. 

I looked and looked for books about making butter and couldn't find one that I liked, so I made one. 
I found FABULOUS pictures at Chica and Jo's website .You can just click on the picture below and get a copy of the book I made if you would like!  THANK YOU to Elizabeth at Kickin It in Kindergarten for teaching me how to upload to Google Docs! What a sweetheart! (She set up a new website, so go re-follow her on Bloglovin!) 

This is my first attempt at uploading a document into my blog...(However, when I open the book here, the pictures look like watercolors for some reason- although they are photographs. No idea why.)  I hope they will print well for you.  Of course, my printer is not working now so I can't try it. Oh my, oh my. If it doesn't print well, I will sent it to you some other magical way if you would like it! 
 
If you click on the picture below, you can have copies of the student books that I made. There are two in this document.  The first one is the one I used with my class. The students glue the correct pictures on the page. (I put the pictures that I used at the end of the document, so you can print out as many as you need.)  The second book has the picture on the page, but leaves lines for the student to write the "how to" part to go with each picture. This would be better for older children.
 
 
 
You know- everything's better with butter!  
 

Have a great Friday! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog