Tuesday, August 19, 2014

The OK Book... is PERFECT!

I found another FABULOUS book from Amy Krouse Rosenthal and Tom Lichtenheld.
I'm linking up with Mrs. Jump's Class to share it with you if you haven't seen it!
It's perfect, perfect, perfect for your perfectionists who are afraid to try something and not be just perfect at it.  It's OK to be OK! Not perfect.  (Note to self- remember that...)
Here are some of the sweet pages so you can see what I mean, if you haven't seen the book yet:








She has a book trailer on Youtube that's just great!




I made a simple writing activity that I'm going to do with my class. Click on the picture below if you would like a copy.

I also included a page with just lines under the picture box, because "I am ok at" are all great words for the children to write on their own if I decide I want them to try to write a sentence.  

Together, we are going to do a little guided drawing activity to make our "OK" person like in the story, so they can each add their special twist on what they are ok at to the picture.  I can't wait to make our OK Class Book!

The OK Book reminds me a little of Ish and The Dot by Peter Reynolds. These books are just so important for children to hear so they are brave enough to try new things and know they will make mistakes, but WHO CARES! That's how you grow.   





My new favorite quote comes from the legendary lover, adventurer, writer and librarian named Giacomo Girolamo Casanova de Seingalt better known simply as Casanova: “One who makes no mistakes makes nothing at all.” 
A big chunk of success in this world comes down to resiliency. Let them laugh and nay say from the sidelines. Get back up and try a different approach. Just never stop trying. Start. Stumble. Facepalm. Learn. Grow. Experiment. Fail. Continue. Adapt. Fail. Retry. Innovate. Succeed. Win. Repeat.
Casanova’s quote inspired the latest #makeithappen poster. Download a copy for your wall and get to work. We have important things to accomplish.
Bonus: A good tune to listen to whenever you have ass to kick. Ali in the Jungle
Another favorite is Beautiful Oops by Barney Saltzberg, because this one shows that even those mistakes can be masterpieces!

I love everything by Amy Krouse Rosenthal,  because her books are not OK... but PERFECT for teaching.  She knows what clicks with children.
I posted about several of her books:

This book is my favorite book to use for Writer's Workshop to focus on punctuation marks. It uses the punctuation marks so the kids GET it. I posted about this book HERE.

Cookies is the sweetest life lessons/character education book- just precious.  What a great gift this would be for someone with a plate of cookies. I posted about this book HERE.
 
Everybody can relate to One of Those Days. It's a great conversation starter, and great for Writer's Workshop ideas. 
                                             
I posted about Yes Day HERE. This is another PERFECT one for discussions, dreams, and writing ideas.
                                            
Fortunately/Unfortunately, I also found some other books that I actually DON'T have - but may NEED to have- because I can just tell they're what I will love. 
                                         


 This is going to be a class gift before Valentine's Day.  I just decided.

My Amazon Wishlist reminded me of this book, which is also fun for Writer's Workshop- but not by Amy.  

"Fortunately, I  found lots of new books I want to buy.  Unfortunately, I found lot$$$ of new book$ I want to buy."


(This is from Amazon.)
Fortunately, Ned was invited to a surprise party.
Unfortunately, the party was a thousand miles away. 

Fortunately, a friend loaned Ned an airplane.
Unfortunately, the motor exploded. 
Fortunately, there was a parachute in the airplane.
Unfortunately, there was a hole in the parachute. 
What else could go wrong as Ned tries to get to the party? Readers will cheer as Ned's luck turns from good to bad to good again, while clever illustrations tell the story of his wacky adventure and narrow escapes.

Sorry if you found some new books to buy.  I hope you found some fun new books and ideas!

Thank you for stopping by!  Have a BETTER than OK day!  





2 comments:

  1. We have one from Barney Saltzberg called Crazy Hair Day. Have you read that one? It's about a little boy who gets crazy hair day mixed up with picture day. He gets his mom to do his hair all crazy and then he hides in the bathroom all day because he is so embarrassed. At the end of the day, his friend talks him in to coming to class and the teacher and all the other students have done crazy things with their hair or are wearing crazy hats for the class picture! Heart warming!
    Don't you want to be THAT teacher? !
    Have a great first day of school!!

    ~Sarah
    FCS and Then Some

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great post!! I am so excited to get The Ok Book! Thanks so much for sharing!
    Amber
    Mrs. Masters’ Kinder Love

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog